Number of students that will benefit: 269
Age of students: 4-11
Percentage eligible for free school meals: 15%
St Mary's is the oldest school in Brent, dating back to 1777, nowadays a two form entry primary school in the middle of Church End Estate.
Our school seeks to enable each pupil to acquire wisdom and pursue academic excellence in preparation for life in the globalised 21st century. St Mary’s aims to give each child an excellent all round education with an excitement and zest that will make his/her school days the best they can possibly be. Our broad and balanced curriculum aims to enrich personal development, confidence and enquiring minds. The St Mary’s approach to learning promotes knowledge, understanding, skills and values in the context of spiritual, moral, intellectual, physical and social development.
What do we want?
We want the Purple Mash software because there is a lot more to computing than coding and Purple Mash provides a broad computing curriculum. Furthermore it helps achieve success in every subject with fun and engaging activities. Its open-ended tools allow children's creativity to flourish. Children can create expressive multi-media stories and leaflets, role play as Samuel Pepys, paint a picture, make their own 3D models or compose a multi-instrumental song. The only limit is their imagination!
In addition, Purple Mash's free home access and easy homework system seamlessly integrate learning at school and home. It comes with free CPD, it cuts down all lesson planning time by around 30 minutes per staff member per week and it works well on Chromebooks, iPads, desktops, laptops and tablets.
Who is this for?
We are planning to use it with all our students from Nursery to Year 6.
Why do we want it?
We want Purple Mash because:
- its '2Code' module takes the mystery out of coding
- It provides access to step-by-step lessons with lessons plans and tutorial videos to take children's learning from simple algorithms and block based programming, all the way to text-based coding.
- it enable positive online behaviours, providing the safe way for children to learn to email, blog, and express themselves online
- the resources supplied (websites and worksheets) allow room for discussion and input from the students. They allow some deeper thinking and links to the students own lives. (i.e. how their searching can be more efficient at school and at home, as well as being more aware of websites and their legitimacy).
- it supports looking at computing through a skillful way, with ideas presented ready for teaching. There appears to be a range of media to support the teaching (worksheets, powerpoints, quizzes, apps...)
- Children think that Purple Mash activities are challenging and fun at the same time and want to take their classroom learning home and try it at home. They enjoy the little fun insights to online aspects.
WHERE YOUR MONEY GOES
- 1 year Purple Mash subscription for the whole school @ £800
- Joining fee @ £150
- VAT @ £190
Total = £1,140 (incl VAT)
If we're fortunate enough to raise more than our target, then we would like to be able to buy a 3-year membership @ £2,604 (incl VAT).
HELP US REACH OUR TARGET!
Please do donate, but if you can't donate right now you can help us in other ways! Share this project with anyone you think would support us. Share the link at the top of the page on Twitter, Facebook, email, your website, blog, mention us in a phone call or even just a chat over the fence! Please support us and help make a difference to our students.